Seems like Spring has been flying by, without a lot of time for sewing and dollmaking. This week, I finally finished dressing my Gail Wilson Izannah Walker kit doll! I am planning a winter outfit for her with the long sleeved dress, another apron and cape. Maybe a hard bonnet - we'll see. But I'm going to work on some clothes for some other dolls first!
Saturday, June 8, 2013
Sunday, April 14, 2013
I haven't completely disappeared! I've been working on this little 10" Izannah Walker inspired kit by Gail Wilson. She has been a very slow project for me this winter. Projects around the house with my husband have taken a lot of our "spare time." When I opened the kit, which I purchased a good while ago, I discovered that the paint containers for the skin had opened and dried out (a miracle that it wasn't all over the other paint pots!). Luckly, I had some GW flesh colored paint already on hand! Then, while getting ready to begin painting her face, her paper mache head feel off the pencil/rag "holder" onto the floor, breaking the back part of her shoulder plate! I was devastated. I couldn't believe how much crying I did over that silly little doll project - she was more important to me than I realized. My wonderful husband came up with an idea on how to fix her using some 2 part epoxy stuff from the hardware store. We molded it as best we could to her, waited a day or two, then sanded it as best we could and painted it. The repair is obvious when she has no clothes on, but I decided it would be good enough to continue and press on. Painting her face was a challenge - the experience reminded me that I'm overdue for an appointment with the optometrist, and that I should probably invest in some mag-eyes for this type of project! But I persevered and did the best I could.
The camisole was made, but my kit didn't have a ribbon for the front, so it took me a while to decide what to use. I found a light blue silk ribbon in my embroidery things, and over dyed it to soften the color. Her camisole, pantalettes and slip are finally done!
Yesterday, I picked out the fabrics for her summer dress, bonnet, winter dress and apron and bonnet. I already had fabric for her cape. I hope I can make quicker progress on her clothes, because my Gail Wilson order from her March sale arrived on Friday! I have so many projects to finish this summer - because in the Fall, I will be taking Gail's on-line class to make 9", 7" and 4 1/2" Milliners Model dolls.
Sunday, February 17, 2013
Jane's bonnet was finished last weekend. I may fidget a bit more with the ruffled lining to see if I can get it to have smaller ruffling - it seems I've got on big ruffle for several stitched.
Jane also has had her book for a few weeks. It contains brief summaries of her stories.
The next Gail Wilson doll project is underway - no pre-painted parts this time!
Sunday, January 20, 2013
Jane's dress is finished. So is her stand. I debated a while as to whether or not to put the label on her stand. Gail is going to come out with 3 more dolls in this series, and promised to also come out with a pattern for Civil War era dresses, so I may have a Little Women set as well.
Gail's painting amazes me! I am in awe of her control and ability to make such fine, smooth lines. I'm really blessed to have been able to get the kit with painted parts!
Saturday, January 5, 2013
I began working on this project between Christmas and New Years. I bought the kit from Gail Wilson Designs in one of her sales. The special offer was a bundle that included the doll kit, stand kit and book kit. I always enjoy working on Gail's kits because I always learn how to do something new. Jane's dress includes cartridge pleating to attach the sleeves and the skirt. I gathered the skirt 4 times, and attempted to connect it 3 times before I was satisfied! I need to use a small zig zag around the skirt edges and do the hem next. Then the silk sash, bow and buttons, and the dress will be done.
Today I bought thread to match the silk sash. I'm fighting off a sore throat that wants to become a full blown cold, so that might be all I accomplish today! I find I can do my best work when I'm not sick!
Sunday, December 23, 2012
The December Quilt is Turkey Tracks, from Kathleen Tracy's book, Remembering Adelia. It has a lot of triangles, which make it a bit more tedious for me to do, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I suppose making a dozen small quilts this year has been good for my piecing, if nothing else! I was determined to get this one done before Christmas, so I machine quilted it. I think it is one of my favorites from this year.
Merry Christmas, everyone!
May God bless your celebration of His Son's Birth!