Friday, June 11, 2010
Saturday, May 29, 2010
Since American Girl archived Kirsten before I could get all of her outfits, I had to make my own birthday dress and apron for her, using the patterns from AG. I had purchased the patterns from AG a long time ago when I got Kirsten, but the patterns are available here: American Girl Playthings Dress Patterns.
I lengthened the skirt pattern, but wish I had added even a bit more! The tiny rick rack was tricky to sew. I ended up using a fabric glue to attach it and then sewed it on. When I finished the apron, I didn't have very good light, and didn't realize that I had the bib on the apron on backwards (I lined the top). So, the rick rack on the apron skirt is behind the edge, but on the top, it is on the front. I will probably make this pattern again in other fabrics and see if I can make more improvements to it.
Sunday, April 4, 2010
I ordered 2 Petite Ai dolls, Sariel and Jenniel, from Custom House last November during a buy one-get one sale. They finally arrived on March 22nd. These are the first ball jointed dolls that I've bought without their "face ups." It was certainly a different experience to open the box to find pure resin dolls without any eyes or any color on them at all. My nose told me that these were freshly made dolls - the resin smelled different than any other doll that has arrived here!
I got out my watercolor pencils, chalk pastels, clear matte sealer, and clear gloss. Here they are during the early steps of the face up.
Once the clear sealer had dried, I put gloss on their lips and eyelids. When that dried, I glued on some eyelashes that I had in my supply box. Jenniel got dark blond lashes, and Sariel got brown.
Then I had to wait until I could go to the store to get some poster tac so that I could insert some eyes. Fortunately, the family agreed to make time to do that early on Saturday! Last night, I inserted their eyes: brown for Sariel, and natural grey for Jenniel. I didn't care for the bright green eyes that CH sent with them, and these were the only eyes in my stash that really fit in their eye wells.
Here they are with their eyes. I tried on 3 or 4 wigs on each of them, but none seemed right. I ordered some new wigs, and I hope that they'll find something that fits them in size and style! While we wait, we'll have to think of some better names for them!
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Sunday, February 7, 2010
It started to snow after lunch on Friday. It snowed all through the night and all day on Saturday, not tapering off until evening. Here is W4 in our front yard on Saturday afternoon - snow still coming down.
Until it came time to think about how we would ever get out! W4 had a lot of shoveling ahead of him! M. and I helped a little bit, but he did most of the work. Here you can see his car parked on the street - the mound of snow between the apple tree and the house across the street. You can almost see his taillight.
After getting my car dug out and the sidewalk in front of our house, he decided that since his classes at college are canceled tomorrow, and he doesn't have to work until 3 PM, that he'd finish digging out his car tomorrow. There's really too much snow on our street for his car to do very well anyway. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.
I captured this great picture today of Josie. She has really been enjoying this snow. Her favorite part was on Saturday, when we had paths cleared in big circles around the front yard, but not out to the street. She could run as fast as she wanted around the yard without worrying about a person holding her back by her leash!
I wonder how long it will take for life to get back to normal? The weather forecast calls for more snow on Tuesday night and Wednesday. I hope that it doesn't amount to anything!
Saturday, February 6, 2010
I finished my bear on Wednesday evening. I am really excited about how he turned out! I don't think he really looks like an "Old World Bear" since I used a more modern mohair and much larger eyes and made the nose differently. He isn't stuffed with excelsior anyway, so he is more of a modern bear with deep roots.
Now, back to making amigurumi...
Sunday, January 31, 2010
I've been working on this bear since before Christmas. I decided to sew it all by hand. I finished the stuffing and jointing on Friday night. W3 helped me with some of the cotter pins. I was all set to do his face, when I discovered that I don't have the correct size of glass eyes in my teddy bear tool box! I ordered extra eyes on Saturday morning.
Profile shot. No ears yet (they go over the threads from the eyes). Can't do the nose or mouth until I see how the eyes look. So, my faceless bear must wait. You might be able to see the threads that mark where everything goes (according to the pattern, anyway!).
More about this bear's beginnings here: Baybearyscottage.blogspot.com