Saturday, July 28, 2012

Back from Vacation

It has been about a week since we've gotten back from our wonderful vacation at Caswell Beach on Oak Island in North Carolina.  It was a wonderfully relaxing time to catch up with some family that reside closer to there than here, to spend some quality time together, enjoy the ocean and just relax and rejuvinate.  On the drive there and back, I began working on my hexie flowers for the October Small Quilt of the Month.  I finished the final 2 on the road trip home.

Hexie Flowers for October Small Quilt Challenge

We enjoyed amazing views and wonderful beach walks. The view from our rental condo's deck:

Balcony/Deck view

We could see two lighthouses from the beach, and there was no competition for space at the beach.
Caswell Beach, Oak Island, NC

As a general rule, I don't post family pictures on the web, but here are my kids on one of our evening beach walks!
Caswell Beach, Oak Island, NC

We got to do a little sight-seeing in the vicinity.  Here are a few photos of some things that I found interesting and related to my interests.  This was one of the displays in the Visitor's Center at Brunswick Town/Fort Anderson.  They told the history of this Colonial town that ended up being the sight of a Civil War Fort.

Display from Visitor's Center at Brunswick Town

I found dolls at the NC Maritime Museum in Southport!
Doll parts at the Maritime Museaum

And there was a 19th century sewing machine there, too!
Sewing Machine from between 1863 - 1888

We really loved Oak Island, especially the Caswell Beach area.  It is a very relaxing, refreshing and rejuvinating place to stay!

1 comment:

Lynda (Granny K) said...

Wow! what a lovely place to stay. I like the history too.