Friday, August 1, 2008

Pocketbooks!

One of my favorite subscriptions is the one I have to American Patchwork & Quilting. The August issue has an article called "Towels with a Twist" that show how to use dish towels to make handbags. When I first saw the article, I thought "Oh, how cool! Someday I might have to try that out."

As luck would have it, I saw some towls that I really liked two days before leaving for Nationals. I got the great idea that in addition to shopping, laundry, packing and other last minute preparations, I'd make a few pocketbooks - one for me, one for Melanie, and 3 more (gifts for her individuals coach, her big sister on the team and another friend). It was so easy, I really did get them done in one day and still manage to get all the travel preparations done! And it was really fun and not the least bit stressfu! It was really nice to get a sewing fix before going away for a week.

I really like mine, although I wish I'd found a bit larger handles so that it would slip on my shoulder a little less tightly. There are 4 roomy pockets on the outside. One pocket holds my sunglass case, another pens, calculator and my epipen, another a nail file, comb and chapstick, and another is available for my cell phone. That leaves the interior for little notebooks, wallet, calendar, checkbook and other necessities. Very roomy! Mine is on the left (fully loaded) and M.'s is on the right.


No comments: